Tuesday, November 19, 2013

Letting Things Slip

For all the positivity and seeming boundless energy in my last post, it is of course natural that my lazy has not accomplished near to what I wanted in the two weeks since writing and posting.

I always forget the incredible weight and challenge of inertia. Last year, when living in Korea, I decided that I was going to start studying the Korean language in a very real way- study a minimum number of hours each week, with a goal and a test to wrap all things up. However, being out of school for years at that point made the transition surprisingly difficult- I wasn't used to studying, nor was I accustomed to having to subject myself to any sort of personal discipline whatsoever.

It took months- two or three entire months- to rev my engines up to the point that I could actually treat studying like it was a daily, expected activity. Plugging it into my routine was incredibly difficult and a challenge that I constantly failed. I don't understand what it is about my lazy-ass personality, but I just don't like doing things, apparently. I loved how busy I used to be in school and how challenging it was to balance a schedule of work, school, work again, volunteering, an active social life, and even- god forbid- exercise and healthy living.

But now, years out from that, I can only look back at that time with the longing of a washed-up has-been. At twenty-six, I know that I'm way too young to look back at those 'glory days', but that's really what has been happening. It's embarassing and I don't understand why even getting myself to study a few hours every week is such a challenge... let alone eating healthy, or exercising regularly.

After that initial challenge period, I moved into a nice groove of studying about twenty hours a week. That was a bit excessive, but I had the free time back then so it was not only a nice way to fill my time, but I also benefitted a great deal from the increased focus on my brain and active intellectual pursuit. It worked wonders for my confidence and I even began to work out somewhat occasionally, and moved towards a healthy, regular sleep cycle.

There are days lately where I come home from work, getting in around 1 am or so, and I just sit in front of my computer and do nothing. I surf the web for hours, maybe chatting lightly with a friend, and I think about all the things that I'd rather be doing or that I would be better off for doing. Sometimes I have to mentally fight with myself to even push myself to play a video game or watch a movie- because even THOSE things would be more productive than the shitload of nothing that I am doing at the time.

I'm still not sure how to overcome this, but I'm getting back into the swing of studying. 10 hours a week minimum, 15 hours a week as my goal. I'm studying computer/nerd stuff, trying my best to learn and hopefully to prepare for taking some classes at a community college next year (if I can swing it financially). I love studying and I love learning, so I'm not even sure what the difficulty is.

Is inertia really such a challenge? I've been moving at a glacial pace for a long time, and I want to be flying again. I know I'm headed in the right direction these days, and I'm even finding some satisfaction in my work- which is new for me- but I'm moving too slow. I need the thrill of challenge again outside of the office, and I need to know what it means to be legitimately busy again.

So how do I do that? How do I speed up from crawling to flying again?

No comments:

Post a Comment